Friday, January 18, 2013

Classic Film Corner: A Revival and Remodeling

Hey readers, welcome to WatchHombres! Whether you are seeing us on this blog for the first time, or regarded our opinions at this site's inception ages ago, we thank you for visiting us. Hopefully, my partner will present his introductory sentiments too, but for now, here's my two cents.

To be perfectly honest, there is an element of hesitancy in knowing exactly how to resume my blog postings of classic films after such an extended hiatus. Such an impediment is not technically from not knowing what I think of today's film, or a lack of writing experience during the interval. In all likelihood, it probably has more to do with how I approached the matter of reviewing classic movies last time - where the gimmick of seeing 365 films in a year unwittingly took top precedence, and thus made presentation gradually overshadow passion to a particular degree.

Needless to say, I burned out.  Very quickly, which I do apologize for.

I don't plan on making the same mistake this time, so I need to first ask what it is that my primary intention is - and frankly, it is no longer the countdown or even movies themselves. It is instead these two questions:

  1. How do we know when a story justifies your time and attention?
  2. What should my role be in helping answer Question 1?

In Question 1, I hope readers notice that I did not include "money" as a parameter. Simply put, there are plenty of resources (of varying degrees of legitimacy, admittedly) for people to watch classic films without paying an extra dime, and everyone is capable of seeking those resources out. No, for me, it's a person's time that is priceless and more important, and it is thus essential to examine the intent and execution displayed by the filmmakers who are given such a commodity.

Do they pay particular attention to detail, or is the delivery sloppy? Is effort evident in the way their form of art gets presented, or is it phoned in? And can you truly believe that they'd be satisfied with their efforts, even if they just made the movie and did not make anything off it?  For me, such questions are what strike the line between making a quota and making a living, between having a job and forming a career...and more often than not, serves as the backbone for a truly classic film. So what is my role in this process?

From my perspective, the best way I how how to endorse a film is to discuss how it resonated in my own experience, because that is all I have to go on. When it has managed to do so to a significant degree, then I'll feel confident in passing it on to others. But that means my approach to writing these reviews may seem a bit more casual and blunt, less like reading an article and more like having a conversation (which I encourage from you as well).

  • So I'm not going to spend 80% of the review describing the plot, since that is what watching the film and reading IMDB is for.
  • I'm not going to go crazy with flowery language that attempts to turn each statement into its own art form, because then it will become less about you and more about self-indulgence.
  • But most of all, I am NOT going to tell you what is objectively good, because simply put, I can't.  

Everybody has their own opinions and a right to them, and whatever works as a film for you is wonderful. All I can do is use my perspective, as I try to learn more about where film's been and is going, in order to give a different perspective - an more analytic, spoiler-free approach that is, above all else, personal.

So I'm going to do my best to resume a steady pace, but will now put out the articles up only when I feel they are adequate and up to my standards (a process which will hopefully show improvement, in speed and quality, over time). In turn, please don't hesitate to leave comments, criticisms, or suggestions for films you consider classic and warranting examination. Above all else, I hope you have fun reading my work and responding to it however you choose to.

Take whatever views you feel best for each film we discuss, but these are mine. Here's to a fruitful journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment